You might associate playful, bright colours with the spring-summer season, but the most sought-after beauty hero right now is a bit more understated.
You guessed it, we’re talking about nude lipstick!
Perfect for everyday wear
A classic, iconic nude lip never goes out of style. Universally flattering, it looks equally good with strong smokey eyes and barely-there makeup.
Unlike the bright colours, nude shades perfectly adapt to a busy lifestyle, meaning you can wear it day to night. It’s subtle enough for work (or a zoom meeting), and glam enough to dress up and go for drinks after.
How to find a perfect shade of nude?
It’s a no-brainer, you should choose a lipstick that compliments your skin tone.
First, determine what is your skin tone and undertone; there are 3 different undertones – cool, warm and neutral.
If you have trouble to figure it out, check your veins. If your veins appear blue or purple that indicates a cool undertone, while green veins mean you have a warm undertone. Anything in between means neutral.
Next is choosing the perfect shade that perfectly flatters both your skin tone and undertone. The best thing is to go with a shade that is slightly darker than your natural complexion to avoid looking washed out. Still, here are some guidelines.
FAIR: pale rosy pink nudes
LIGHT: both pink and beige nudes
MEDIUM: caramel and honey nudes
OLIVE: peachy and golden nudes
DARK: purple and chocolate nudes
WARM: coral and peachy nudes
COOL: pink, orange and purple nudes
NEUTRAL: peach and pink nudes
What to look for in a perfect lipstick?
The key is finding a balance not only between colour and finish but some other things too. One general rule that always applies is quality over quantity. Rather invest in a product that brilliantly performs than many that need fixing all the time. And we know everyone loves options.
Make sure your lipstick ticks these boxes:
- Long-lasting colour
- High pigmentation
- Hydrating formula
- Lightweight texture
- Matte or glossy finish
- No nasty ingredients such as parabens, sulfates and phthalates
Once you’ve found a formula and shade that works for you, it’s time to finally put the lipstick on. We have some tips you might want to hear.
How to perfectly apply lipstick?
You are probably tempted to apply lipstick as it is and hope for the best, but a little prep goes a long way. Instead, here is how to apply lipstick properly:
- Start with a simple lip scrub treatment to exfoliate, remove dead skin cells and prepare your lips for the next step.
- Perfectly hydrated lips equal gorgeous lipstick so moisturise the lips with a balm. Follow this step regularly, not just when you are wearing lipstick.
- Prime your lips to prevent fading or bleeding. If you don’t have any, eyeshadow primer will do the job just fine.
- Add a liner to create a crisp outline, but in a shade of your lip, not lipstick. If unsure which colour to pick, stick to the neutral peachy colour, not too dark or too light.
- Finally, apply the lipstick starting from the centre of your upper lip and moving down to both corners and lower lip.
- Don’t apply to many coats of lipstick. To avoid looking cakey two coats are more than enough. If the lipstick is highly pigmented you really only need one, especially with liquid lipstick.
- Finally, blot with a tissue paper to get rid of excess lipstick.
And voilà, once you know all the tips and trick you can apply the same methods to other lipstick colours too.